Sunday 20 May 2007

The Beginning

"Writing requires having something to say. Reading requires a capacity for understanding. Otherwise words are mere markings on a page. Every great writer understands the need for a great reader"

'Who is Harriet Rose?' you may be asking. 'And why have I not heard of her before?'. In answer to your first, I am a philosopher and writer, a creator of mere markings on a page. In answer to your second, I have been waiting for you, readers, to discover me, like a little treasure hidden at the bottom of your garden where you walk every day but which you had been too busy to notice - until now. For every writer needs you, I have known that ever since I began to compose my philosophical reflections some time ago.

Today is my fourteenth birthday, but more importantly it is a catalyst in my life. For today I not only celebrated my fourteen years on earth, I also celebrated becoming a writer, a published writer, the writer of a collection of meditations, like a twenty-first century Marcus Aurelius. For my mother and Nana presented me with a truly unique gift - my own hardback book which they had published and which they have vowed will reach as many readers as possible, with Nana as sales rep, my mother publicist and me, Harriet, esteemed author, quietly reflective in the background. And whilst the three of us are embarking on this new chapter in our fast-moving life together, I thought I would begin this blog to share with you some of my Meditations and experiences of becoming an author.

I hope that begins to answer your question 'Who is Harriet Rose?', and that you, great readers, will never need to ask that question again.

No comments: