Saturday 2 June 2007

I always prefer reading books that have a happy ending, such as Kant's Critique of Pure Reason or, even better, his Groundwork of the Metaphysic of Morals - I love that one.

I could read Kant's Groundwork of the Metaphysic of Morals a thousand times without tiring of it. I recommend it to anyone wanting to apply themselves to philosophical matters such as the importance of morality and why we should not tell lies or make false promises. Honesty, you see, is extremely important to me. So, in order to be completely honest with you, I feel you should know that I once told a lie, a very big lie, about a very important matter. But I want you to know that at the time I felt I had no choice.


The worst part of the lie was that I told it to my father, whom I loved very much indeed. And now that you've learnt of my lie, I shall understand entirely if you no longer wish to read a book about me, although I know that if I were you I would want to know more about the circumstances of the lie before I made any rash or unfair judgements. Which is why I wish to divulge the following:


I was twelve at the time, young enough, perhaps, to be forgiven, but old enough, frankly, to know better. My father, recognising that I could be relied upon to tell the truth in all circumstances, asked me a direct question. I, realising that my father would believe my answer, dared not hesitate before answering for fear that he would read the truth of that hesitation. I gave my answer in a manner that could not fail to persuade him of its truthfulness. Once my father had heard my reply, there were no more questions. In fact, it was the last question my father ever asked me. And I had answered it with a lie.


"Am I dying?" was the question as he lay in his hospital bed.


"No" had been my lie.

No comments: