Tuesday 5 June 2007

'When fourteen-year-old schoolgirl Harriet Rose was asked about her sudden rise to fame since publication of her book The Infinite Wisdom of Harriet Rose, the enigmatic author had only one response - to wiggle her little finger.'

They all used the same shot of me, the local press. A close-up of my face as I wiggled my little finger at their cameras. It wasn't an intentional pose. I think I must have panicked at the sight of all those flashing lights outside my school gates. I had been reading about an ancient Greek philosopher called Cratylus who became so disillusioned with language that he decided to remain silent altogether and merely wiggle his finger. He must have come into my mind when the press began to hurl their questions at me. I uttered not a word to the men of the press. Yet still they judged me. Each one certain of his own interpretation of my silence.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day - sometimes not saying anything is saying something. There's a meditation in there somewhere....

No comments: